Saturday, May 21, 2011

My First Blog!

Yeah! My First Blog Post!
First things first, thank you for taking time to read my blog. I am really excited to share my stories and keep everyone up to date on my trip to Antarctica.

So I know a lot of you have looked at me like a crazy person when I said that I was trying to go to Antarctica. Some of you even thought I was pulling your leg. But alas, I really am going. This is my third year trying to nail down a contract and it finally happened.

How did this crazy mission begin? I will have to give a shout out to some new friends of mine, Dan and Dawn. I met them on a camping trip back in 2009 and they started telling me about the company they work for, NANA Services.  They went on to explain that they lived in Antarctica 6 months out of the year for work. The travel side of me was instantly fascinated and I began asking tons of questions about what it was like living down there. Oh, for those who are geographically challenged, Antarctica is South.
Anyway, after I ran out of  questions I started showing interest in applying for a job and Dan offered to send me some more information. And so the mound of paperwork began.
The first 2 years that I applied to go I was signed on a an Alternate. This meant that I had to be ready to leave at the drop of a hat and replace someone who needed to leave the Ice for one reason or another. Of course that never happened and I never went.

After 2 years of paperwork and still not going, Dan started to feel really bad for roping me into this and was able to find a permanent position that he could offer me. YEAH!!!!!
I will be traveling to Antarctica this year as an Assistant Rooms Coordinator for the 2011-2012 Summer Season.

Let the Journey Begin,
Autumn :)


No comments:

Post a Comment