Thursday, November 17, 2011

Discovery Hut

Like I had mentioned in my last post, we are located right next to Scott's original Hut. They have named this building Discovery Hut. This building remains locked for historical purposes and is opened when Tours are given to groups of people.
I just happen to be lucky enough to know the Recreation Coordinator (Erin) and she let me follow along one day on a private tour through the building.
Just to describe a little bit about the inside of this hut, so you can get an idea of what it was like to be in there: It structurally reminds me of a barn, all wood, vaulted ceilings, not much insulation. I would guess its about 1200 square feet of open space and different areas are divided up by big tarps and blankets. There is an old, rotting smell that reminds me of horse stables, not unbearable but definitely smelly. Almost everything is frozen it time, everything has been left the way we found it and nothing has been refurbished.
Fair warning, some of the pictures you are about to see include bones, carcases, and unidentified animals hanging on walls....you have been warned.


Enjoy the pictures!













This is an amazing piece of history and I am so lucky to have been able to see this with my own eyes. There are only about 20 historical Huts in all of Antarctica and I get to see one of the most famous ones.

Autumn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment